Do you like healthy, tasty, and affordable meals? What about meals that you can prepare earlier on and put in a crock pot to cook throughout the day to be ready for you when you get home? I'm sure everyone does! I love skinnytaste.com and was so excited to see her recent crock pot recipe for enchilada soup. Each serving is 1.5 cups and it is so filling! Even Jake was full after just one serving! This soup could easily be eaten without the chicken if you want to cut the cost even more.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for topping
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- fat free sour cream (optional)
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.
To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir. Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with fat free sour cream, cheese, scallions and cilantro. You can also top with avocado or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!