There are a list of foods that are labeled 'The Dirty Dozen' because they contain 50-60 different pesticides found within them.
40-60 different pesticides.
1. apples (more than 40 different pesticides have been found on apples)
2. celery ( USDA tests have found more than 60 different pesticides on celery)
3. strawberries (nearly 60 different pesticides have been found on these berries, though fewer are found on frozen strawberries...wooh)
4. Peaches (more than 60 different pesticides found...fewer can be found in canned)
5. Spinach (nearly 50 different pesticides..frozen spinach has nearly as many, canned has had fewer detected)
6. Nectarines (imported)- are among the most highly contaminated tree fruit...overall 33 pesticides have been detected.
7. Grapes (imported)- more than 30 pesticides found. Raisins also have high pesticides residue.
8. Sweet Bell Pepper (OH NO!)- (nearly 50 different pesticides have been detected on sweet bell peppers...)
9. Potatoes- (more than 35 pesticides have been detected on potatoes in USDA testing.
10. Blueberries (more than 50 pesticides have been detected as residue on them [consider juices also]. Frozen blueberries have proved somewhat less contaminated...thank goodness)
11. Lettuce (...kinda figured... more than 50 pesticides have been found)
12. Kale (tie with collard greens and fatty meats)
13. Milk (crap...)- Twelve different pesticides found in milk alon! This is a special concern with pregnant women and children's diet. Still not sure if I am willing to fork over $11 for a half gallon of organic milk tho...
But there are 15 'cleaner' foods that are so clean of pesticides that you wouldn't need to buy organic.
2. Sweet Corn
4. Avocado Avocado
6. Sweet Peas
13. Sweet Potatoes